After two long, relaxing Summer months, I am finally ready to start blogging again. I will start off slow, but hopefully I can just keep a steady flow of posts coming. Today I will start with a post that is delicious, as well as vegetarian and vegan friendly! Enjoy and tell me how you like it ☮
3 c. Israeli couscous
3 c. vegetable broth
3 ears of corn, shucked, kernels cut off
1/2 c. pine nuts, toasted
1/2 bunch of cilantro, leaves chopped finely
3/4 c. fresh lime juice
1/8 c. virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1. In a medium sauce pan, bring the veggie stock to a boil. Add the couscous and turn the heat down to low. Cover the couscous for about 15 minutes, stirring it occasionally. When finished steaming, you may want to add salt and/or pepper to the couscous.
2. If your pine nuts are not pre-toasted, toast them in a non-stick pan until lightly toasted. In the same pan, remove the pine nuts and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add your corn kernels and let them cook about 3 minutes on low, or until they are as crispy and as charred as desired.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together your fresh lime juice, olive oil, and salt/pepper. Then set aside.
4. In a larger bowl, combine your couscous, pine nuts, corn, and chopped cilantro. Slowly, add about half of your dressing mixture to the couscous salad. Mix until the dressing is well incorporated. Taste the salad and add more dressing as you feel necessary. How much dressing the salad needs will be based on your preference, as well as how tart the limes were.
5. This salad can be enjoyed warm, or chilled which I prefer. If you are having it warm, serve immediately. If you are having the salad chilled, cover bowl and place in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. When removed from the refrigerator, stir and add another tablespoon or so of dressing if the couscous has become dry.