Monday, May 23, 2011

The Grass Is Greener

Recently, I've been extra motivated to try and live more sustainably, as well as make my lifestyle as green as I can. I've been learning how to do this gradually through the help of Sustainable Works and thus far I have had a lot of really amazing successes. I have been able to make so many small changes that only keep me more motivated and willing to keep changing. The only real downside I've found to the changes I've been making have been the people around me. I feel like people, even in this day and age, are so misguided about making your life more sustainable. When you tell people you are trying to live a little greener, some people really cringe and act like you're either pompous or a nutcase. I am neither of those things. I feel like living a little greener and doing what I can for the environment is so simple; I don't see why everyone doesn't try a little harder. You don't have to do anything crazy, at least not at first, so I say why not give it a try! People act like being green means that to save trees we should stop putting down toilet seat covers, to save water we shouldn't wash our hands after using the restroom, and for us girls.. we should just stop shaving our armpits to save the plastic and metal used for disposable razors. WRONG, FALSE, DISGUST! You don't have to do anything like either of those three things and still, people are apprehensive. It puzzles me.

There is so much good that can be done by even the smallest actions. For instance, yesterday I decided that I was really in need of a new notebook. I went to my local drug store and was hoping to spend about a dollar on something small and preferably cute. Although the selection was limited, the store did have what I had hoped to find. As I was walking down the aisle though, just before I hit the check-out, I saw another notebook with a paper attached to the front proclaiming, "100% Recycled. This notebook is made from 100% Recycled Paper Fiber, including 30% Post-Consumer Waste." It's made by Mead®, in the U.S., so I put down the other notebook and bought the recycled one. Yes, it was $4, which was more than I intended to spend, but we have to be wise consumers. My purchase, in the long run, will show that people do care about things made in America, from recycled materials, and that we are willing to spend more for a good product. It's as easy as that. I still got a cute green notebook and I felt really good about my purchase. No buyer's remorse!

I got this little guy in GREEN

One small step towards living greener: Check! Some other small green changes I've made that you might be able to enjoy and implement are: Putting a bucket in the shower to collect what water would be wasted while I let the water warm up, eat meat only once a week, switch to vegan cosmetics, AND my newest change... start posting These Come From Trees stickers on public paper towel dispensers as a form of silent protest! More on that to follow!

I hope reading this may have inspired you, even if it was just a little bit. I know that trying to be Green can have its hiccups and may not always be easy, but I think it will start getting easier when we all start working together!

No comments:

Post a Comment