Thursday, May 26, 2011

It Ain't Easy Bein' Cheesy

Recently, I've been trying to switch all my products (as I finish them, of course) to ones that are better for me and the environment. Using EWG, I learned about how many scary toxins and chemicals are in the products I use everyday. It's safe to say that I wasn't thrilled. Anyway, I've been switching my products as they run out and the first one I ended up having to switch was my deodorant. I was not very happy about this, mostly because I really, really loved the Secret Truth or Pear® deodorant I had been using. It smelled wonderful all day long so I never had to worry about stinking. Unfortunately, it had a high chemical count when I looked online so switching was necessary. I switched to Tom's of Maine Apricot® deodorant and sadly, I do not love it. At all. I got apricot scent, against my better judgement, because after using Truth or Pear® for so long, I thought that scented deodorants could be trusted, but sadly I was mistaken. I used to always use unscented before and I guess that has to be my policy once again. The Tom's of Maine Apricot® deodorant just does not last 24 hours like the label says. I have to reapply more than once a day and the apricot starts to get a weird cheesy smell throughout the day. It's super unpleasant.

Altogether, this is really discouraging because Tom's of Maine® has failed me and the other aluminum free deodorant that I tried a few years back, Crystal®, didn't work so well either. I'm not sure where to go from here. I will probably try Alba® deodorant next but if that doesn't work out I will have to keep searching. All I know for sure is that I would rather smell a little cheesy, and therefore have to give people less hugs, if that is what it takes to take the best care of my body. I'm done supporting the company's that are willing to put dangerous chemicals in my body. Cheese-smell is better than adding to my risk of cancer. I will keep you posted on this and let me know if you have any good, low chemical deodorant suggestions! They would be very much appreciated. Smelling like cheese is no fun...

On a much lighter note, I have found a green change that I love! I used to use Burt's Bees® chapstick as my go-to but I have decided to switch to a vegan chapstick instead. I've been using Booda Butter® and I love it!! It's certified vegan, as well as soy, gluten, and BEE FREE! Also, I am obsessed with the shape of the tube. It's not circular, it's more oval, which is more similar to the shape of your lips so it goes on much easier than a regular chapstick. That sounds weird, but trust me, you gotta try it! It feels great on your lips and has a scent that will definitely surprise you, in a good way! Check it out and let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment